How to Show Yourself Love for FREE
March 6, 2020 / No Comments
Like I do every year, I give my year a mantra. A theme that I’ll focus on and be intentional about. And after checking in with myself on what mattered most, I came up with EXPLORE MORE would be the goal for 2020.
And sure enough, I got an opportunity to explore my courage and willingness to walk out of my comfort zone and on to the set of a LIVE TV show. I felt all the feels as the day got closer. I practiced what I would say in front of the mirror. Then I practiced what I was fortunate to go and share…that I had to slow down and love on myself.
I took lots of deep breaths. I posted notes that said Just Be You! and Have Fun! I walked a lap around my house. Then I got in the car and headed into town to create some magic with the lovely ladies of Studio 512, a lifestyle program on our local NBC affiliate.
And, friend, I survived! I tried the new thing, and I am alive and excited to talk about it.
What I learned was that exploring more and leaving my comfort zone created an opportunity to live and learn. It reminded me that it feels great to have my blood pumping a bit faster than usual. And it humbled me to know that there were viewers on the other side of the screen that needed to hear what I had to share. Marching out of my comfort zone into something new was a gift that I was ready to engage in and accept wholeheartedly.
And I believe that you are ready too. I am confident that there is something new you are curious about, something you feel almost ready to attempt, and I want to be the one to tell you: GO FOR IT! Ready or not, your time to try is NOW! Regardless of the outcome, you’ll live and learn, and most likely have a BLAST doing something brave for yourself and others as you explore more of your very own courage, strength, and determination!
Go, friend, go!
But before you run off, let me share the 5 Ways to Show Yourself Love for Free that I shared on the segment:
- Breathe. With the high-speed lives we live, we don’t realize that we give into shallow breathing. And too many times, we forget to breathe like our life depends on it. So don’t take your breath for granted. Take several long, deep breaths. Slow down your heart, slow down your mind, and fuel your body with much needed calm and energy!
- Be Where Your Feet Are. We are go-go-going so quickly that many times we aren’t present in the moment. But it’s essential to slow down and get grounded. To do that, simply look down and be where your feet are. Have gratitude for all that you see and who you are with and embrace coming back to yourself.
- Get Up & Out Into Nature. When we are feeling exhausted, overwhelmed, or stuck, we tend to stop moving as we binge-watch or sit and scroll. But what we need to do is get up and move our body, and ideally out in nature. Fresh air leads to a fresh perspective! So, walk, run, hike, ride bikes, or sit outside and enjoy a sunset or the stars and allow nature to give you a big ole hug!
- Put Yourself In A Quiet Time Out. With all the competing demands for our attention, we must remember that silence is golden! And just like those time outs we experienced as children, as adults, we still need space to reset physically and emotionally. Maybe you need rest (aka…a real-life N-A-P), or to learn something new, or to self-reflect. Options include meditation, journaling, taking a hot bath, reading a book, listening to music. Find what works for you and give yourself quiet time and space you need!
- Create. So much of our energy goes into all the things we are thinking about in our beautiful minds. But we are creative beings, and there is something calming about creating a tangible thing that brings us joy! One SUPER easy thing to do is grab some Post-Its and a pen and write yourself some love notes to hang all around you! You can also try cooking a new recipe, making an amazing craft, drawing or doodling, or putting a puzzle together. Whatever you do, follow your gut on what to create. Don’t overthink it. Celebrate it. And always wrap it up with a deep breath!